Friday, April 28, 2006

Kisses, cacoons and homemade butter...

You may be tempted to ask about the title of this blog and I wouldn't blame you at all for saying, "huh, what???" The connection? They were all a part of my day in Kindergarten today. Let's start in order.

Kisses - Today we celebrated one of the students birthday. She has a summer birthday, so we celebrated today. This little girl is one of the sweetest little girls I have ever met. She is more giving than most adults are, has a smile that lights up the room, and is thankful for the smallest, most insignificant things that most people wouldn't even think a thing about. I've never seen a child's eyes light with such joy because of the gifts she got today. They were small items: a book, a few birthday coloring sheets, a pencil, a sucker and a birthday certificate. After she "opened" her bag of presents she came over to me, gave me a huge hug and a big kiss on the cheek. She was even excited about the tissue paper her gifts had been wrapped in.

Cacoons - Today was also show-and-tell. I had no idea how much kids like show-and-tell. Not having ever really gone to a real school when I was a child, I wasn't real familar with the great awesomeness of show-and-tell. There were some interesting things brought in today ranging from a rainbow colored slinky to a cacoon. The cacoon was really cool. As the teacher, I got to hold it and while I was holding it I felt it wiggle and heard this rubbing sound from the inside. I didn't know you could really feel a caterpillar changing into a butterfly. It was a really neat teaching moment because the students got to come up and listen to the rubbing noice and hold the stick to feel the movement.

Homemade butter - As you know, we have been talking about the farm. Because we had already talked about cows, I thought it would be really fun to make something out of milk. I had actually gotten this idea from one of my college classes. All you do is take whipping cream and put it into some kind of sealed container, with two clean marbles and shake. Unfortunately, the plastic containers I had brought (so we didn't have to use glass ones that have been known to break during this activity) cracked while they were shaking them. Dumb Ziplock twist and seal! We were able to finish the project and enjoyed our homemade butter on some cinnimon raisin bread.

I hope you've enjoyed your glimps into Kindergarten kisses, cacoons and homemade butter. Have a great day and try something new, you never know what you might learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home