Monday, March 06, 2006

I'm glad I'm not...

There are so many things that we can be so thankful we are not. I know you are saying to yourself right this minute, "Katie, you are so wierd." I'm willing to accept that. Would you at least give me a chance to explain my thinking. Great, thanks:-)

Today, one of my students came to school without their homework done. As a teacher, my first thought was, "You're in second grade. The only homework I gave you last night was to read your assigned reading homework for twenty minutes. How hard can it be??" In this case however, it was much harder than it sounded. You see, this young student of mine comes from a broken home where love is few and far between if it's ever present at all. Yes, he may only be in second grade, but his life is harder than mine has ever been in the past twenty-two years, and my guess, full of more heart-ache than I can really every know. Yes, I come from a wonderful, loving two-parent home where love and discipline are abounding. And yes, I have seen the other side of life, the side of life where you have "two families" both of which want to spend lots of time with you without taking you away from the other for too long. But neither of my families, Jaspers or Nadaskay's, have every made my life so hard I couldn't sit down and do twenty minutes of second grade reading. Back to my story about the my student. This poor eight-year-old child couldn't do his homework last night because his dad got arrested. The police came to his house, arrested the dad, and took the two children to their mother's house. I use house for a reason and not home. For these two young children were taken from their father's house to their mother's and told by their mother, she "didn't want them because it wasn't her turn. The dad needed to keep them for his week. They were not her responsibility." As horrible as I may sound, I don't think that woman should even be called a mother. A real mother would NEVER say that. The saddest part of this story is that this is the third time since I have been teaching here (I've only been here six weeks) that this has happened to this little boy, and he is the second student to relate to me that one of their parents were arrested the night before and taken away.

So I guess tonight I'm glad I'm not living in a home where God is not dwelling, love is not present, and a family is missing. I would love to hear what you're glad you're not. God is so good to us, and yet how often we forget that fact. Life has struggles for all of us, but we have the wonderful truth that God will "not ever forsake us, not ever leave us."

1 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Katie, that is so sad! I almost cried at the end of your post! Wow, what an opportunity you have though, to show those kids what really love is all about!

3/10/2006 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home