Thursday, July 20, 2006

Lessons...

To say God has done a mighty work in my life during this whole time, would be a major understatement. There are so many things that God has taught me during this time. Lessons learned through pain are hard to learn, but these are the lessons that last the longest. I have already shared my heart on the situation at hand. Now, please allow me to share my heart about the great things God has done.

The most important lesson that I have learned is that God is all-knowing and absolutely right in everything He does. Could God have kept everything, and I mean everything, that happen leading up to this, during this, and even after this trial time from happening? YES!! But, in His great wisdom and knowledge He did allow this to happen. He not only allowed the “little” things to happen, but also the big, more life changing things to happen.

Knowing that God allows all things in His time is a hard pill to swallow at times like these. Knowing it and believing it are two different things however. I have grown up in a world where we were taught Romans 8:28, but to see it exemplified in the lives of my family is nothing that could ever be described. One of the hardest things to do in life is to watch the people you love suffer. So that suffering, in and of itself, has been very hard, but I have seen great faith examples in my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, friends, pastors and even strangers.

Another very important lesson I learned during these days was that of the blessing of friends. The Bible talks very clearly about friends. Friends are mentioned throughout the Bible in many different stages of life. Some friends are prayer warriors, some are encouragers, some are battle fighters, some lift our arms, some take us to Jesus, some challenge us, some help us see the sin in our life, some think the worst of us, some leave us, some breed bitterness in our hearts, some cheer us on while others tear us down, some are foolish, some are wise. We also have friends in many walks of their own spiritual life – some have been Christians for years, some are babies in Christ, some are even unbelievers while others still have believed, but are far from Christ. These friends all have something in common. They all mean something to us at one time or another. God has taught me that He can use people. That means me. I have been so deeply touched by the immense number of emails, contacts and notes I have received from friends. No, not everyone “agreed” with what I think, but they said they were praying for me. I even had people write me and say, “I don’t know you or your father, but I am praying for this whole matter to be resolved. I don’t know who is right, but God does, so I will pray.” What more could I ask for? Prayer is the greatest gift God gives to us. How awesome is it when someone says they are praying for us. When a person tells me they are praying for me they are saying they are placing me in the hands of our great Creator, Savior, and the Father that is in total control of our lives! Wow – pray for one another daily.

A direct line to God; the next lesson I learned. I had peers that came and helped me along the way. I had a family that was hurting just as I was, yet there were times that neither of those wonderful things mattered. There were times when the only thing that comforted was prayer. Prayer is more than just words; it’s calm in a storm. When man can do nothing God can do everything. I could not add further to the burdens already on heavy hearts. It was then, that I turned to my Heavenly Father who wrapped me in His arms and said, “My grace is sufficient.”

Sufficiency, the last lesson I will share. My all in all. Though family and friends have been a tremendous help, most of all, God has given me Himself. God is more than just salvation. He is my All, my Comfort, my Guide, my Hightower, my Fortress, my Strength, my Rock, my Abba Father, my Confidence, my Foundation, my Help, my Encouragement, my Friend, my Refuge, my Most High, my Confidant, my Everlasting. I could go on and on, but one little word says it – ALL. Without Him I am nothing.

There are many more things that I have learned through this trial, but I don’t have time to tell you of everything. If I were to sum this whole matter up I would say – God knows all, He does what not only is right for me, but what is best, and He is all I need.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bob M said...

Katie,
Your testimony to the grace and sovereignty of God is powerful. Many people who do not know you are praying for you.

Bob

7/21/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger kathryn said...

thank you.

still praying.

love ya :)

7/27/2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

katie
you are such an encouragement to me.
i am praying for you...miss and love u lots!

7/27/2006 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home