Monday, June 19, 2006

I want to catch a firefly in the alfalfa field...


Ok, so I was driving home with my friends tonight and the conversation swayed to and fro, touching many subjects. One subjects was that of the title of this blog. Another was how so many people we knew as "kids" are going to be in college next year. Another yet was how many people we know that are/have gotten married this summer. This topic lead us to a very interesting one. The one of the infatuation my friend "Sarah"* had for this particular boy at school "Justin"*. Funny how she carried a torch for him for six years!!! SIX LONG YEARS!!! I thought my obsessions were bad! The interesting thing about this is that he basically didn't even know that she walked the face of this earth. That's what is so amazing about life. Yes, admittedly, it's rediculous that most people have had a "crush" on someone at sometime in their life, and we may have gotten a little carried away about it. But usually those crushes end up "breaking our heart's because they don't even say hi to us" and we move on to something better. Now, this is a long stretch, but I like making dumb analogies. We are never satisfied. We "like" someone for a while, maybe even way too long (like "Sarah") and then we end up being hurt and just moving on to do the same thing again. I am far from perfect in this area and anyone who knows me will attest to this fact, but this devotional book I've been reading has really challanged me in this area. Every time we have a strong desire or interest in something or someone, we putting an idol up in our lives. I love my friend "Sarah" and her whole situation was just funny for all those years, but may we all work hard at tearing down the idols in our lives.
* Names have been changed to protect the privacy of the individuals.

1 Comments:

Blogger kathryn said...

sarah, huh? :)

7/10/2006 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home